POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2.5D 'matte painting'--using Rune's ILLUSION.INC : Re: 2.5D 'matte painting'--using Rune's ILLUSION.INC Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2.5D 'matte painting'--using Rune's ILLUSION.INC
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 28 Jan 2013 20:22:25
Message: <51072451@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:

> The *basic* idea (AFAIU) is to project a photographic image onto 'simplified'
> geometry--but in a way that the image shows no perspective foreshortening

Last weekend I was in the Escher Museum in The Hague and they had a
nice exhibit (not by Escher, I think, this was on the uppermost floor
where they show some related stuff about optical illusions) where a
builing was portrayed in this manner on a saw-tooth shaped surface, so
it looked like a normal image on a flat surface from the distance but
started to "move" and "distort" unexpectedly as you walked towards
it. Only when you got close and looked a bit from the side could
you see what was going on ;)

 > That is, a FREELY-moving camera introduces distortion into the
 > applied image--not really parallax distortion but something else.

Projecting the image is only half the solution, it seems to
me the critical thing is to define the correct geometry, so the
moving camera will create not just any kind of random distortion
but an approximation of the expected parallax distortion.

One way to go about this might be to paint a distance image over
the actual image in a graphics program, based on your estimated
object distance from scene content, then render as height field.