POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 28 Jan 2013 03:42:30
Message: <510639f6$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/01/2013 08:12 AM, scott wrote:
>> From what I've seen, several revision control systems *claim* to
>> support large binary files, but barf if you actually try it...
>
> I don't know how our IT department at work manage it, but on all our
> network drives you can right click and folder or file in Explorer and go
> Properties->"Previous versions" and help yourself to whatever previous
> version you want. I assume that all gets backed up somehow.

It's a new feature in Windows Server 2007 (?). AFAIK, it's only
available for the server edition of the OS. But yes, basically it
retains old versions of files for X days. The files are still on the
same physical volume, however. This protects against logical failures
(e.g., some doofus deleted the wrong file), but not against physical
failures such as a head crash.

Of course, then you need to buy backup software expensive enough that it
backs up the hidden previous versions as well as the visible files...