POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jan 2013 17:28:59
Message: <5105aa2b@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 17:16:16 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> I don't think rsync does incremental backups. In other words, if you
>>> wanted to restore an earlier version of a file, it's not possible.
>>>
>> If you want to keep track of various version of a file, you need a
>> revision control system (and then backup the repository), such as
>> (<start holy war>): mercurial, cvs, rcs, svn, git, ...
>> ( holy wars never stop, no end tag)
>
>  From what I've seen, several revision control systems *claim* to
> support large binary files, but barf if you actually try it...

subversion seems to handle them fine, FWIW.  I've seen it used to handle
multiple revisions of multiple-gigabyte vmdk files without a problem.
It's not terribly efficient at non-text files (it doesn't diff them, it
just stores each revision of the entire file).

I've also seen it used for binary FrameMaker files extensively, and it
versions those fine as well (though with the same caveat).

Jim