POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 27 Jan 2013 12:16:15
Message: <510560df$1@news.povray.org>
>> I don't think rsync does incremental backups. In other words, if you
>> wanted to restore an earlier version of a file, it's not possible.
>>
> If you want to keep track of various version of a file, you need a
> revision control system (and then backup the repository), such as
> (<start holy war>): mercurial, cvs, rcs, svn, git, ...
> ( holy wars never stop, no end tag)

 From what I've seen, several revision control systems *claim* to
support large binary files, but barf if you actually try it...

There are plenty of other ways to achieve this though. E.g., find all
the files with the "archive bit" set, dump them into a dated folder,
reset the archive bit on all the files you just copied. (That's why this
file attribute exists in the first place, after all...)