POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 27 Jan 2013 06:40:44
Message: <5105123c$1@news.povray.org>
Le 27/01/2013 11:53, Warp nous fit lire :
>> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:25:26 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>>> The most typical backup program for other systems is something that you
>>> have to run manually, and most often than not with a horrible nightmare
>>> of a user interface. (For example you wouldn't believe how complicated
>>> it is to restore one single file with OpenSuse's system backup utility.
>>> Something that takes like 5 seconds with Time Machine can take at
>>> minimum 5 minutes with OpenSuse's system backup, often more. And of
>>> course it's in no way automatic.)
>
>> rsync + cron = backup goodness.
>
> I don't think rsync does incremental backups. In other words, if you
> wanted to restore an earlier version of a file, it's not possible.

If you want to keep track of various version of a file, you need a
revision control system (and then backup the repository), such as
(<start holy war>): mercurial, cvs, rcs, svn, git, ...
( holy wars never stop, no end tag)

If hardlinks are a reality on the receiving file system, you might keep
more than one backup on the same media without doubling the actual used
size. But this starts requesting a bit of discipline.