POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 27 Jan 2013 04:32:40
Message: <5104f438$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/01/2013 04:25 PM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> For a home setup, I would suggest that RAID is way overkill, and a
>> simple offline backup now and then is what you actually want.
>
> The problem with this is that it's easy to forget or to just be lazy and
> procrastinate (until the day that your HD breaks.)

Yeah, well that's true enough.

(For example, I don't have any backups whatsoever. Then again, about the
worst thing that could happen is that I lose all my photos, so...)

> The best option would be to use an external storage device and an automatic
> backupping program. This way you always have a very recent backup without
> having to do anything.

Perhaps a network storage device? IDK.

> The most typical backup program for other systems is something that you
> have to run manually, and most often than not with a horrible nightmare
> of a user interface.

I love how even extremely expensive enterprise backup systems like
Symantec BackupExec have a horrifically awful GUI and minimal
documentation...