POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 25 Jan 2013 16:40:31
Message: <5102fbcf@news.povray.org>
Having a RAID system is no help whatsoever if the actual RAID controller
dies on you.

True story, learned the hard way... ;-)

For a home setup, I would suggest that RAID is way overkill, and a
simple offline backup now and then is what you actually want. RAID might
save you in the extremely unlikely event of a drive failure. (It
basically means you don't have to wait until you can purchase another
drive.) But a backup will save you from any possible type of failure.
(Except failure of the backup medium itself. Having two backups fixes
that...)