POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Jan 2013 13:21:01
Message: <51017b8d$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:12:26 -0500, Francois Labreque wrote:

> Le 2013-01-23 14:30, Jim Henderson a écrit :
>> Oh yes, I would agree as well.  The Compaq SMART controller I just
>> mentioned in response to Ricky had multiple two-drive failures (caused
>> by inadequate cooling at the end of the hardware's useful life).
>>

> If it's anything like the Compaq SMARTArray failures I've seen, the
> problem was EMI on the Proliand drive bay backplanes that made the
> controller receive garbled data, so it declared the disks bad, even
> though they were perfectly fine.  We had Compaq go and manually reset
> the disks to "good" status - using proprietary hardware - to recover
> some of the data after we had threatened to take our business elsewhere
> since we had had 7 or 8 RAID array failures in less than a month.

The server was a Prosignia, but that's quite possible, too, I suppose.  I
no longer have the system, but I do recall that the cooling in the room
wasn't very good (it was my house, but the computer room was a southern-
facing room here in Utah, and the problems were always during the summer
months).  Oh, and the power was intermittent in the system as well, so it
could've been a bad PSU.

Jim