POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 24 Jan 2013 09:12:15
Message: <5101413f$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2013-01-23 14:30, Jim Henderson a écrit :
> Oh yes, I would agree as well.  The Compaq SMART controller I just
> mentioned in response to Ricky had multiple two-drive failures (caused by
> inadequate cooling at the end of the hardware's useful life).

If it's anything like the Compaq SMARTArray failures I've seen, the
problem was EMI on the Proliand drive bay backplanes that made the
controller receive garbled data, so it declared the disks bad, even
though they were perfectly fine.  We had Compaq go and manually reset
the disks to "good" status - using proprietary hardware - to recover
some of the data after we had threatened to take our business elsewhere
since we had had 7 or 8 RAID array failures in less than a month.

They also replace all our Proliant drive bays (60 of them, across North
America) for a more recent revision number of the backplane.  Our
carefull inspection revealed the "Rev. D" boards had two extra
capacitors, and a huge ferrite core around the SCSI cable.