POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jan 2013 09:11:34
Message: <51014116$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.01.2013 16:09, schrieb Cousin Ricky:

> My brother is giving me the impression that he thinks external backups are a
> stupid idea. I don't feel comfortable without an external backup; however, if I
> do have an external backup, I don't see why I would need a RAID. Sure, without
> RAID, I can lose a few hours or a few days of work, but for my current
> (non-professional) needs, would that justify the extra expense of a RAID?

Think about it:

A RAID lets you continue work in case of a hard disk failure as if
nothing had happened.

An external backup lets you restore most your data - but not the most
recent stuff, and not in just a moment's notice - in case of a hard disk
failure, a power surge that fries your whole computer, or - depending
where you keep it - even a fire.

What's the thing you really want? What's the thing you really need? What
are you willing to pay for it?