POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Withdrawal from the Internet : Re: Withdrawal from the Internet Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Withdrawal from the Internet
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Jan 2013 14:21:03
Message: <5100381f@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:54:58 -0800, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Yes, I understand that. But that sort of compulsion has to be "rooted"
> on some level in a fear that these things might be true. And, that is
> the single hardest thing, even for people that completely give up on
> religion,
> to break. First step though has to be recognizing that its all BS from
> square one. Then, its still hard, and its not likely to help that a
> large percentage of mental health people may be just as roped in to the
> nonsense, so can't, themselves, completely break away from some level of
> belief in it.

Sure, I was replying to Cousin Ricky, though.

And some compulsions are strong enough that even when the rational mind
says "yes, it's all BS" the compulsion still exists, as you said.

It's not something that can be "fixed" (in general) by talking to random
strangers on the 'net, either.  And it sounds like Joerg is getting
professional help - which is good, as long as the therapist is actually
helping (sadly, there are those who don't do a good job at that, either,
and it becomes necessary to "shop around" to find one who helps with the
problem rather than turning one into a perpetual patient.  That may not
be the case here as I don't know Joerg's therapist or their techniques).

The best thing (IMHO) any community can do is provide moral support,
remind him that there are people here who care about him and who want him
to get better.  Apart from being true (at least for my part), that
generally helps break the perception of everyone persecuting the
individual.  That and encouraging the individual to seek/continue therapy
with a licensed and /effective/ therapist who is trained in helping
people overcome these types of compulsion.

It's been my experience (and it may be different for Joerg, so I'm
speaking in general terms here) that just saying "well, stop doing that"
makes things /worse/, because often times the individual then is made to
feel that they're inadequate because they /can't/ because the compulsion
is so strong.

So I'm going to repeat - Joerg, there are people here and on the 'net who
don't think you're going to hell for your lifestyle and who don't condemn
you.  There are people here and on the 'net who support you in doing what
is necessary to overcome this compulsion, and who want you to know that
you are a unique and valued individual.

Jim