POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment : Re: This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This week's WTF moment
From: clipka
Date: 17 Jan 2013 14:00:03
Message: <50f84a33$1@news.povray.org>

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html

> ...or not? ;-)

"While it could be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free,
Adobe did it to help its customers."

So they do explicitly acknowledge that this interpretation is possible,
and they're not explicitly saying that it is wrong; they're just saying
that it wasn't their primary motivation.

To me, this reads:

"Unfortunately we had to disable the Activation Server permanently; to
help our paying customers without causing us and them too much hassle,
we deliberately chose to make the software publicly available. We're not
officially saying that you can have it for free, but we really couldn't
care less."

Maybe they just can't officially give the stuff away for free because of
some licensed 3rd party technology in there.