POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment : Re: This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This week's WTF moment
From: scott
Date: 17 Jan 2013 12:27:55
Message: <50f8349b$1@news.povray.org>
> And I am sure that it was obvious that they were free samples. Or you
> would not have taken them.

To many the Adobe CS2 download page is obviously them giving away the
software for free - I doubt most people would even give it a second
thought and would just download the software (unless they happened to
have heard about the controversy) in exactly the same way they download
free software from other authors' sites.

> I read that and am a bit surprised that neither you nor anyone else
> mentioned that the theft act explicitly states... dishonestly
> appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of
> permanently depriving the other of it;
>
> With downloading software you do not depriving the other of it.

IANAL, but if downloading software without the correct license is not
theft but copyright infringement, there's a similar clause in that law:

"97 Provisions as to damages in infringement action.

(1)Where in an action for infringement of copyright it is shown that at
the time of the infringement the defendant did not know, and had no
reason to believe, that copyright subsisted in the work to which the
action relates, the plaintiff is not entitled to damages against him,
but without prejudice to any other remedy."

So again the judge would ask the court, did the downloader have a reason
to believe the software on that page was not free. Given that it is
distributed in exactly the same way free software is, and not how paid
software is usually distributed then it might be tricky to insist the
downloader should have known they had to pay for it.