POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment : Re: This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This week's WTF moment
From: scott
Date: 16 Jan 2013 03:36:28
Message: <50f6668c$1@news.povray.org>
> of silly excuses like "you distributed it in your webpage, therefore
> I don't have to listen what you are actually saying; by doing that you
> have relinquished all rights to your own work to me."

You're the one exaggerating now, nobody expects to relinquish all rights
just because you put your program on your webpage for free download
(without any message that you have to pay for it or it is limited use
etc.). What people do expect, is that you have relinquished your right
to then *charge* the people who downloaded it. That is likely illegal
sales practise in most places and the sort of thing that consumer
protection agencies frown upon.

> (It doesn't matter
> that the law is on the author's side. It also doesn't matter that *morally*
> it's wrong to use the work when the author explicitly says that he doesn't
> want you to.)

The law is not on the author's side - an author can't give you something
for free then come around a week later and demand you pay for it.