POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment : Re: This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This week's WTF moment
From: Warp
Date: 15 Jan 2013 11:38:54
Message: <50f5861d@news.povray.org>
Francois Labreque <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> This is exactly like my car dealer who offers free coffee and pastries
> while I get my car serviced.  It doesn't mean that all the neighborhood
> hobos are allowed to come in and eat for free.

A closer example would be the images on a website: Just becuse you can
download the image files from a website doesn't somehow automatically
give you the right to use them as you want. This even if there's no
copyright statement or usage restrictions mentioned anywhere in the
website.

There's zero difference between an image file and a computer program.
Just because you *can* download a program from a website doesn't mean
that you somehow automatically get the right to use it however you want.

Copyright is automatic and does not need to be stated explicitly, and
the *default* is that if there's no usage license, you can *not* use it.

--
                                                          - Warp