POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment : Re: This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This week's WTF moment
From: scott
Date: 15 Jan 2013 04:47:23
Message: <50f525ab$1@news.povray.org>
> They don't have to convince any judge or jury because the law says so.
> It doesn't matter *how* you get the software, if you don't have a legal
> license, you can't legally use it.

The point is that the user thinks they do have the required license. If
any user wants to fight Adobe regarding this it will end up in court.

> It doesn't matter what they think. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

They're not ignorant of the law (I don't think anyone would claim they
didn't know about laws regarding software), they're ignorant of what
license the software is released under. As it's not made clear, there is
no option to buy a license and it's old software distributed in a manner
that is usually used for software with a free license, then it seems
like you'd have a reasonable case in court to claim you were ignorant
regarding the license. It's up to the judge to then decide whether the
efforts required to check the license (maybe reading the EULA would
suffice, IDK) are reasonable to expect the user to have done. But IIRC
judges have previously ruled against companies hiding things deep in the
EULA, so I wouldn't assume Adobe would win.