POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment : Re: This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This week's WTF moment
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 14 Jan 2013 21:13:55
Message: <50f4bb63$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/14/2013 4:37 PM, Kenneth wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>

>> It doesn't matter what they think. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
>>

> I'm glad you're not a Judge :-P  (Or 'my Lord' as they would say in the UK.)
>
> Seriously though, there's another way of looking at this mess, from Adobe's
> standpoint. Let's say *I* am the President of Adobe. My first thought upon being
> made aware of this situation would be to say, "OMG, FIX IT!!!" (But that hasn't
> happened.) So my next thought would probably be, "Well, we made some kind of
> mistake, so we're just going to have to live with it now." (Hard to believe,
> though, since a fix could be so easily implemented.)
>
> WHY Adobe hasn't taken down that page (or re-worded it) is anyone's guess. There
> are only three scenarios I can think of:
> 1) Everyone at Adobe is 'asleep at the wheel.' Doubtful, of course.
> 2) They don't care.
> 3) They have some reason for keeping the page *as-is*, regardless of the
> software being freely available.
>
> In any case, the end result is the same: Free software! With no (ethical)
> strings attached.

Adobe's "official" stance on their software (I got this direct from one
of their reps a while back) is that it is better to have a paying
customer, than sue someone over stolen software. This means that either
they don't care about these older versions, at all, or, the worst they
might do to you is insist you pay for it. However.. They have released
some out of date versions, on occasion, via things like 3D mags, etc.
So, this page may in fact be live "as" part of one of those promotions
too, which would make a certain amount of possible sense.