POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment : Re: This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This week's WTF moment
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jan 2013 19:05:20
Message: <50f49d40@news.povray.org>
Kenneth <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I agree that there might be an ethical question involved here. If the offerings
> were pirated software, I would not have considered downloading any of it. (I'm
> not into software pirating.) But the facts mitigate against this: Adobe itself
> is offering them; there are no *obvious* legal caveats on that page against
> doing so (which would have been ever-so-easy to implement, as others have
> mentioned); and the download page is still active!  In essence, Adobe is saying,
> "Here, take our software, it's free, regardless of what we say otherwise."

Maybe you should get more acquainted with copyright law then. Unless a
copyright-based license explicitly says that you can use the copyrighted
product, the default is that you can't. It doesn't matter how you get it.

An explicit notification saying "you need to buy a license to use this
product" would be nice, but it's not *necessary*. Not according to copyright
law. Copyright is automatic and doesn't require any explicit notification,
and the *default* is that copyrighted work can *not* be used without
explicit permission.

Anything else is just an excuse to ignore copyright law.

--
                                                          - Warp