POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Hobbit and high framerate : Re: The Hobbit and high framerate Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Hobbit and high framerate
From: scott
Date: 7 Jan 2013 03:16:50
Message: <50ea8472$1@news.povray.org>
> After seeing the movie at 48 FPS, I cannot help but agree. It was
> distracting, and it made the movie look odd. The most prominent effect
> was that I got the really strong feeling that the movie was being played
> back too fast (even though all the movements were normal.) That might
> sound amusing, but it's true.

Almost undoubtedly because you are used to the 24fps framerate for
films. I bet if you watched at 48fps for a few years then went back to
24fps it would look horrible. This is an interesting effect though, I
wonder if you watched something at 100 or 200 fps how that would seem?

> I was curious to see if I would experience the same, and what do you know,
> that exact same thing happened here too! I had read this article before
> going to see the movie, and was trying to see how the audience reacted to
> the humor in the movie, and there indeed was signicantly more reaction in
> the 2D version than in the 3D HFR version.

There are several possible explanations for that effect, apart from the
framerate difference. You'd need to do a proper experiment to confirm that.