POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Hobbit and high framerate : Re: The Hobbit and high framerate Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Hobbit and high framerate
From: Stephen
Date: 6 Jan 2013 17:11:08
Message: <50e9f67c$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/01/2013 8:09 PM, nemesis wrote:
> Elves are cheerie and brat-like in the book, even Elrond!  The dwarves are
> barely disguised stereotyped jews in their traits, including greed and
> cowardice.  Their funny names are written with kids in mind.  And a hobbit hole
> is teasing children about rabbits and then entirely introducing them to a new
> concept.
>
> It was written for kids.

I have read, many moons ago, that the story was originality told to his
children. He then formalised it into "The Hobbit..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien#Publications

One sign of a good children's book is that it can be read by adults and
has several levels. Children hear/read the uppermost level while adults
can understand the inferences. Speaking of which I think that you are
wrong thinking that Dwarves are a metaphor for Jews. Dwarves in Nordic
and Germanic mythology are as he describes them. That comes from a time
before Christianity came to Northern Europe.

--
Regards
     Stephen