POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Hobbit and high framerate : Re: The Hobbit and high framerate Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Hobbit and high framerate
From: Warp
Date: 6 Jan 2013 14:13:10
Message: <50e9ccc6@news.povray.org>
Kenneth <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > The original book is for children...

> Ooh, I disagree. I didn't read the book until I was an older adult, and it just
> seemed *spot on* as to style and characterization. I never felt like it was
> talking down to me, or that it was 'juvenile', so to speak.

Just because children are the main target audience for something doesn't
mean it has to be patronizing or childish. Something can be quite profound
yet still be very child-friendly and easy for a young child to follow and
be entertained about. However, it *does* mean that you have to avoid
certain things (such as having too much complex drama, subject matters
that are too difficult for a child to understand and would therefore bore
them, too violent gore or events that could be too scary, a storytelling
pace that's too slow, and so on.)

You are probably not a brony, but I think that the current (ie. so-called
4th generation) series of My Little Pony is an excellent example of this,
compared to the previous series (the so-called 3rd generation and earlier.)
Both of them are primarily targeted at very young girls, but if you compare
a typical 3rd generation episode to a typical 4th generation one, the
difference is enormous. The earlier series were clearly made with the
mentality of "children are simple-minded, so they need simple-minded
cartoons", while the current series is far from being that patronizing.

--
                                                          - Warp