POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Hobbit and high framerate : Re: The Hobbit and high framerate Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Hobbit and high framerate
From: Warp
Date: 6 Jan 2013 04:06:54
Message: <50e93eae@news.povray.org>
Kenneth <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> My own main gripe is with the overly
> 'comical' performance of the movie's Bilbo Baggins.

The original book is for children, and if anything, the movie is
significantly darker and edgier than it.

> The
> overall 'feeling' that one gets when watching a film at a faster frame rate than
> 24fps is that it looks 'like a TV soap opera' (using the phrase I've seen
> numerous times re: THE HOBBIT.) My own way of putting it is 'like live TV' (as
> opposed to watching a film.)

I didn't get that feeling myself, which is why I find it strange. As I
commented, I got the same feeling as when playing a video too fast.

I also think that it has something to do with motion blur. When you film
something at 24 FPS, when there's rapid movement each frame gets more
motion blur than if you film it at 48 FPS. Thus it makes the movie look
sharper, but whether that's a *good* thing is another question. "Less
motion blur" does not automatically mean "looks better" to the human
brain.

But it's probably something that one gets accustomed to with time. I think.

--
                                                          - Warp