POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : normals trick using no_shadow : Re: normals trick using no_shadow Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normals trick using no_shadow
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 3 Jan 2013 20:20:00
Message: <50e62e40$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:

> If the object is made no_shadow (or its light is made shadowless), an applied normal
> does not show the typical 'sharp terminator line' from the light source. Instead,
the
> normal effect looks far more natural on the surface, more '3-dimensional.'

Actually for a moon-like object a sharp shadow line would be more
appropriate. The problem is of course that it should be a sharp line
following the relief and not the perfect spherical surface, which
requires a mesh or iso_surface (a displacement map feature would
be ideal for this but is not available in pov).

The effect you get here with no_shadow looks to me more like what
you would get with an area_light (possibly with area_illumination).
More costly but also more controlled and works for other shapes.