POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Please put back the command line error messages : Re: Please put back the command line error messages Server Time
17 May 2024 05:51:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Please put back the command line error messages
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 29 Dec 2012 11:45:52
Message: <50df1e40$1@news.povray.org>
Le 29/12/2012 16:02, Cousin Ricky nous fit lire :
>> Am 02.11.2012 17:50, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
>>> POV-Ray 3.7 does not give sufficient information when there is an error on the
>>> command line.  When I issue a line such as:
>>>
>>>     povray 'spine.ini[Atlas superior]' rainbow.ini
>>>
>>> I get back:
>>>
>>>     Problem with option setting
>>>     povray spine.ini[Atlas superior] rainbow.ini
>>>     Failed to parse command-line option
>>
>> Please try
>>
>>      povray '"spine.ini[Atlas superior]"' rainbow.ini
>
> Thanks for the tip.  However, my point is that I shoudn't have to stare at the
> command line for 5 or 10 minutes trying to figure out why the front end doesn't
> like it.  The front end should give more information about what part of the
> command line it failed to parse.
>
> I just spent 20 minutes (no exaggeration) trying to figure out why a command
> that worked just a few minutes earlier stopped working.  I tried retyping the
> command, fooling around with quotation marks, changing the .ini file section,
> and just plain staring before I figured out that I was in the wrong directory.
> If the front end had reported that it couldn't find the .ini file, I would have
> noticed my mistake in half a second.

Would have the command line splitted by argument (hence displaying:
* povray
* spine.ini[Atlas
* superior]
* rainbow.ini
) helped ?

I'm afraid line-feed might not be the right character to use, IIRC my
very long command line.

May be some other markup around each element ?
(it's in vfe/unix/unixconsole.cpp circa line 541)