POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How is this even possible? : Re: How is this even possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How is this even possible?
From: Warp
Date: 20 Dec 2012 10:46:53
Message: <50d332ed@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> > They dropped that
> > particular commandment.

> News to me.

The second commandment according to the Catholic church (as well as the
Lutheran one, which adopted this from the former) is not "you shall not
make a carved image", but "you shall not take the name of the Lord your
God in vain."

> > There's no actual biblical justification for this, other than the Roman
> > church declaring itself as the true representative of God, and therefore
> > having the power to do such things.)
> >

> Well, I would not put money on that. I bet a pound to a penny someone
> can find something in the bible that says that it is okay. (And if not,
> dreamed that God spake unto him, that it was so.)

There's no biblical rationale for dropping it. The Lutheran church uses
extra-biblical theology to rationalize why they don't have to follow the
commandment about not making images. (It's a bit contrived. Something
about Jesus having nullified that commandment by showing himself in
person.)

--
                                                          - Warp