POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How is this even possible? : Re: How is this even possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How is this even possible?
From: Stephen
Date: 19 Dec 2012 16:54:06
Message: <50d2377e$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/12/2012 9:23 PM, Warp wrote:

> "Idols" is not the same thing as "icons". "Idol" is more like a false god.

True but Idol means:

A picture or object that people pray to as part of their religion.
Cambridge Dictionary

An image or representation of a god used as an object of worship. Oxford
Dictionary

Icon
a devotional painting of Christ or another holy figure, typically
executed on wood and used ceremonially in the Byzantine and other
Eastern Churches.

> OTOH, one of the 10 commandments forbids the creation and worshipping of
> carved images (ie. icons.) How do they reconcile this?

Is that not what I asked?
(I read an article about double negatives, the other day. So I will
rephrase that. Although that sentence is not a double negative it might
be confusing.)

That is what I asked.

> They dropped that
> particular commandment.

News to me.

> (The Roman church, which later split into the
> Catholic and Orthodox churches, dropped that commandment a long time ago
> because they wanted to use statues and paintings of biblical figures.

Then brought it back, then dropped it, then brought it back, then
ignored it.

> There's no actual biblical justification for this, other than the Roman
> church declaring itself as the true representative of God, and therefore
> having the power to do such things.)

Well, I would not put money on that. I bet a pound to a penny someone
can find something in the bible that says that it is okay. (And if not,
dreamed that God spake unto him, that it was so.)

BTW I prefer graven image to carved image. It sounds nicer, to my ears.

--
Regards
     Stephen