POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another portrait from Gancaloon : Re: Another portrait from Gancaloon Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another portrait from Gancaloon
From: Ive
Date: 17 Dec 2012 22:40:34
Message: <50cfe5b2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.12.2012 21:30, schrieb Christian Froeschlin:

> Don't discard the old eyes until you're sure the difference it
> not from the monitor. Actually mine is very old and poorly calibrated
> but I'm sure Ive has gamma correction at hand-counted photon level ;)

Yes, did this when I was young, patient and poor - meanwhile I let do
machines this kind of work for me.

But more seriously, I was always puzzled about the lack of interest in
well calibrated viewing devices that seems so common among people within
these newsgroups.
In my former line of work - among photographers - it was simply out of
the question that a perfectly calibrated high end monitor is a *basic*
requirement for judging any graphics related work.
Well, given that we are all just CGI hobbyists, and a good monitor isn't
cheap - but a gaming graphics card or quad-core machine isn't cheap
either and people seem to have no problem spending money for these. On
the contrary things seem even worse now as in former times every
calibrated mid-class CRT was already better than any contemporary
high-end TFT.

-Ive