POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another portrait from Gancaloon : Re: Another portrait from Gancaloon Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another portrait from Gancaloon
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 15 Dec 2012 16:55:03
Message: <50ccf1b7@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:

>> Nice design. Although I perceive face and clothing more like two flat
>> layers in this image ... but maybe it is just the simple lighting.
>
> Could you elaborate a bit on this? I am not sure I know what you mean.
> As for the cloth, the dark colour hides the shadows of the folds
> obviously; for the face I don't know. The cloth makes a shadow across it
> anyway

I saw the shadow on the left side but it is rather harsh (point light?)
and the right side doesn't show any shadow or shading, the line is very
straight and the color change very sharp. I think this caused me to
see face and cloth as layers (maybe you know this kind of toy where
you have persons and pieces of clothing in cardboard and can then
combine them, this was my first impression).

I still think its mostly the lighting and maybe a lack of curves
on the right side of the cloth. The reduced depth perception due to
the dark color of the cloth probably doesn't help either.