POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How is this even possible? : Re: How is this even possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How is this even possible?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Dec 2012 20:57:13
Message: <50c935f9$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/12/2012 3:49 PM, Kenneth wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:21:48 -0500, Kenneth wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, the new California law that was just passed--legalizing or
>>> de-criminalizing the possession of marijuana--goes flatly against a
>>> seemingly-overarching Federal law.
>>
>> Was there a law in CA passed about this?  I only heard of the ones in CO
>> and WA....
>>

> Yep, it just happened last week, I believe. The interesting thing about
> California's version (don't know about the CO and MA versions) is that CA plans
> to do this with all the legal 'niceties'--taxing it like cigarettes, etc. In
> other words, putting a well-thought-out 'system' in place for its regulated
> sale. It will be interesting to find out if these various state laws actually
> push the Federal government to change or modify it's current (and, IMO,
> draconian) laws regarding marijuana. (Or, conversely, to come down on these new
> laws with two big feet!) Right now in the US, there are just too many
> 'zero-tolerance' State and Federal laws on the books, about many things. (And,
> alas, supported by many people.)  The US needs to lighten up a bit!  ;-)

Actually, every state could pass such a law, and technically, the fed
could still ignore it, because of how it is "classified" in the drug
list. The only way to change that would be to, in effect, pass a federal
referendum, or something like that (I am not quite sure how it works),
which would "reclassify" it as a less dangerous drug.