POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Canister of Elbow Macaroni : Re: NOT a Canister of Elbow Macaroni Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:14:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NOT a Canister of Elbow Macaroni
From: James Holsenback
Date: 12 Dec 2012 12:56:22
Message: <50c8c546@news.povray.org>
On 11/28/2012 10:22 AM, James Holsenback wrote:
> On 11/23/2012 04:36 PM, BertvdB wrote:
>> James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
>>> Here's the 1st test render, everything is fairly mono-chrome for now.
>>> Lot's more noodles to come ... only 250 here. I have a kitchen HDR and I
>>> think I can get this one to look like it's on the counter.I'm also
>>> considering sslt for the noodles, however I'm worried about the render
>>> time. If I texture one noodle and call it a bunch of times, it shouldn't
>>> be too bad ;-)
>>
>> It needs for sure some colouring, now it looks like a cannister of
>> maggots
>>

> LOL ... funny but not helpful ;-)
>
> How's this ...
>
> I think I've settled on this "kitchen counter" pose. I had to redo the
> noodle simulation, I noticed some intersections. I just gave the even
> numbered noodles a slightly less "mass" value. The utensils/rack are a
> model I found ... it needed some work, but wouldn't import into blender,
> but would in poseray. I'm going to keep the  utensils and make my own rack.
>
> I think I'm close to over doing the angular look I have going on ... so
> to break that up, I'm working on a pepper-mill for the foreground (left)
> tipped on it's side (into the scene) with some peppercorns scattered on
> the counter.

Ah ... well the pepper-mill turned out so good, the canister just didn't
measure up. It's out for now unless I get the ambition to rework that
object. I also completely re-did the wire rack ... and LOL yes I
reworked the chrome as well. I also repositioned the counter area to get
more hdr image and less counter-top in the reflections.

For the physics simulation I used just the glass container and the shaft
down the middle (resting on ground plane) ... I was able to get over
2000 without much strain on resources, because I used the built-in
sphere object instead of 3ds the version of peppercorns ... the program
would only make it to something around 750 before it just quit loading.

Now I have a question .... because holy crap my first stab at photons in
this scene took 28 hrs and it just didn't suit. I think some of the rays
are getting through the gaps between the peppercorns. I've been reading
(and re-reading) the docs on photons and I'm unclear about the setup I'm
using. I'd like to trim some time off that process and here's what I have:

union {
   object { PepperMill scale 1.01 #if (UsePhotons) split_union off #end }
   object { Peppercorns #if (UsePhotons) split_union off #end }
   translate <-120,0,12.5>
   rotate y*60
   #if (UsePhotons)
     photons { target reflection on refraction on collect off }
   #end
   }

The peppercorns are a union of all the peppercorns is why I did it like
that, and just wanted a reality check so I don't waste another 28 hrs!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'work.png' (592 KB)

Preview of image 'work.png'