POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How is this even possible? : Re: How is this even possible? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How is this even possible?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Dec 2012 12:55:37
Message: <50c8c519$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/12/2012 9:45 AM, Warp wrote:
>> Any law can be passed, it's up to someone who wouldn't meet the criteria
>> to challenge it in court.
>
> But I thought the whole idea of a constitution is that anticonstitutional
> laws can *not* be passed.

Sadly, no. It just, in theory, unless someone appointed idiots and
assholes to SCOTUS (but that would never happen...) means that they can
do so, but it will be shot down. Usually the cases are borderline, so
some careful consideration needs to be taken. All too often, and
especially recently, with the, "You won't let us impose
theocracy/oligarchy/dictatorships!", wackos panicking over how small
their movement has gotten, and the appearance of the "wrong color"
president, its gotten far more common, and way more blatant.

Mostly though, some of those laws have been around for a bloody long
time, an they just never got enforced. State constitutions, city
ordinances, etc., are all a bit like some people's basements/attics. A
lot of stuff gets shoved into a corner, and since no one ever bothers to
go in and clean them out (or, more to the point, the people allowed to
are too busy cluttering it with more junk to crawl through what is
already there), it all just sort of stays in there until some idiot
notices it, tries to apply it to some situation, and gets sued over
doing so.

Personally, I think every state, and even the fed, should have a group
specifically designated to rummage through these basements and figure
out what shouldn't be in there, or propose legislation to replace things
that are currently covered by like 50 overlapping bits of incomplete
gibberish, if for no other reason that to bloody simplify the whole
thing. But.. you just know, if someone proposed this, all the nuts would
crawl out of the woodwork, and object that either, "We should keep
that!", or, "Why isn't that being enforced." It would be like watching
an episode of 'Hoarders'.