POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How is this even possible? : Re: How is this even possible? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How is this even possible?
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 12 Dec 2012 12:01:04
Message: <50c8b850$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/12/2012 7:45 AM, Warp wrote:

> Could someone explain to me how this is *possible*? Does nobody in the
> United States actually enforce the constitution and make sure that the
> member states follow it?

My understanding is that enforcing this would be a matter of
constitutional interpretation, and would thus fall under the judicial
branch.  Thus for the judicial branch to rule the clause in the North
Carolina constitution invalid, a case would actually need to be brought
to the court.  So long as North Caroline doesn't bother to enforce that
clause, that's unlikely to happen, so the clause remains.  It's an
artifact of the way that the US system has more in place to enforce a
consistent execution of the law via reactive mechanisms, rather than a
consistent letter of the law via proactive mechanisms.

When similar clauses have been challenged in recent times, they've been
declared unconstitutional (often on grounds of the first and 14th
amendments instead of the 6th).