POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Poser figures and occlusion map baking : Re: Poser figures and occlusion map baking Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:43:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poser figures and occlusion map baking
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Dec 2012 03:34:56
Message: <50c1aa30$1@news.povray.org>
On 6-12-2012 21:27, MichaelJF wrote:
> Here is the next version of "James". As you can see, there is a second character
> (the Diego-Version of Poser 8 Ryan), a ball of wool and Ariadnes thread within a
> cretan ground labyrinth. So Theseus task is a little bit pointless, since first
> he could easily reach the minotaur directly, and second, the labyrinth has only
> one path, no thread needed... And he has lost his club...

Just as an aside here: have you experienced that squinting eye problem
with the Poser 8 figures (Ryan/Alyson and avatars)? I found out that the
problem occurs when passing from one pose to another, e.g. from zeropose
to some other; the respective sideways angles of the eyes (-2 +2
respectively) become zero, which happens to be the squint.

> At last I think that the idea to apply occlusion map baking to Poser figures
> were worth all the effort, but (naked) they are too smooth to yield good
> results, even after having morphed Diego to a bodybuilder. Maybe I should place
> the waiting Ariadne at the empty spot. She should have more not convex areas for
> occlusion;-)

Imo, even as smooth figures the result is as expected and certainly
worthwhile.

Of course, your main trouble is coming from the animation goal. For a
still the procedure would be much easier as you can combine all the
individual meshes into a single one using any modeller, and use that for
the baking.

Thomas