POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflections on employment : Re: Reflections on employment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections on employment
From: Warp
Date: 6 Dec 2012 10:48:09
Message: <50c0be39@news.povray.org>
Francois Labreque <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> There was also the girl who wrote in her presentation letter that she
> was a networking expert, (her cv mentioned her only experience as having
> set up a 10 PC internet cafe), and that she knew both versions of
> Windows inside and out (Win 98 *and* Win2000... we're talking serious IT
> Geekage, here!)

OTOH, the reverse also is problematic. In other words, if you are
completely and absolutely *honest* about your expertise, you might not
get even a job interview.

For instance, if I were seeking for a job that requires PHP skills, and
I would write honestly that I have only rudimentary experience of said
language, they would most probably not even interview me, instead opting
for someone who *claims* to have extensive knowledge and experience.

However, if I outright lied and told them that I have a lot of experience
on PHP, and I got the job, I'm pretty certain that I would learn the
tidbits quite quickly. (The language itself is really close to C++, and
basically the only thing you need to learn is the few syntactical and
semantical oddities and the different libraries.)

--
                                                          - Warp