POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflections on employment : Re: Reflections on employment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:29:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections on employment
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 6 Dec 2012 09:57:23
Message: <50c0b253$1@news.povray.org>

> The thing is, *nobody* thinks they can just walk in and pretend to know
> how to be a brick layer. Because it's ****ing obvious that it'll take
> the people interviewing you about 11 seconds to figure out that you know
> nothing about anything.
>
> So *why* the hell does this constantly happen in computing?!? >_<

Because a lot of people don't even know what they don't know.

Afew years ago, the customer I was working for had their own cafeteria.
  At one point, they decided to outsource the services to an outside
supplier.  The cafeteria cooks, being members of the company's union,
were given the choice of either accepting a non-union job at the new
supplier (at a lower salary, of course), or put themselves on the union
avaialability list in the hope that another job would become available
in another dept.

One of the cooks asked me one day:  "You're in IT, right?  Do you think
I could apply in your dept?  I'm pretty good with my computer at home..."

Me: "Do you know the difference between the IP address classes?"
Him:  [quizzical dog look]
Me: (Ok networking is not for him) "Have you ever played with Linux?"
Him:  [quizzical dog look]
Me: (Ok, hmm... ) "Do you have a home network?"
Him: Huh... No.  But I customized the hell out of my MySpace page.
Me: "I'll get back to you."

He was really disappointed when I told him we were also an outside
supplier so he couldn't simply waltz in an bump one of the lower
seniority guys.

There was also the girl who wrote in her presentation letter that she
was a networking expert, (her cv mentioned her only experience as having
set up a 10 PC internet cafe), and that she knew both versions of
Windows inside and out (Win 98 *and* Win2000... we're talking serious IT
Geekage, here!)