POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflections on employment : Re: Reflections on employment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections on employment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Dec 2012 16:52:11
Message: <50bfc20b$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:23:24 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> You don't understand why people would pay a moderate sum of money in
>>> order to be able to watch movies or listen to music?
>>>
>> No, he doesn't understand how a service can offer near-HD resolution
>> over the Internet.
>
> Providing data over the Internet isn't hard. But providing HD video *in
> realtime* would seem difficult given that people don't have
> megabit-speed Internet access yet.

m-/

That is where you're wrong, Andy.  Even my pokey internet connection is 3
Mbps.  More than enough to handle sufficient data to do a medium quality
HD picture on a 10' screen.

>> Despite the fact that tv providers have had no problem doing 60
>> channels of the same thing over the same wires for the last 30 years
>> (10 years in the case of HD).
>
> Digital TV isn't 30 years old. :-P

No, but cable TV is close to that.  We had cable when I was a teenager,
and easily had 120 channels at that time (that would be in the 80's).

That's not really classified information, either.

Jim