POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : To Encore, Making part of an object tranparent : Re: To Encore, Making part of an object tranparent Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: To Encore, Making part of an object tranparent
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 3 Dec 2012 13:56:46
Message: <50bcf5ee$1@news.povray.org>
Le 03/12/2012 17:00, Encore nous fit lire :

>> With orthographic, the cut should be something like a box (sides aligned
>> with the camera)
>
> Currently, there is a code block which handles the planes that cause the cut to
> make the back post invisible.
>
> To achieve this, two planes are created like this:
>
> #declare Plane1 = plane {-x, 0 rotate y * Alpha};
> #declare Plane2 = plane { x, 0 rotate y *-Alpha};
>
> Where Alpha is the distance from the camera position to the vertical post that
> needs to be visible. This is done by the following:
>
> #local r = R;
> #local Alpha = asin(r / ViewVector) * 180 / pi;

Well, instead of rotating your plane, translate it.
something along:
#declare Plane1 = plane { -x, 0 translate r*x }; // and so on

now, I wonder if it should be asin or atan ? (given that r is probably
small when compared to ViewVector, that might be irrelevant)
Or maybe I do not understand R, r & ViewVector.

Alpha is not a distance, it's an angle.