POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflections on employment : Re: Reflections on employment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections on employment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Dec 2012 11:51:04
Message: <50bcd878$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 21:40:55 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> It may be too early to say, but the WTF quotient of my new employer
>>> appears to be significantly lower than my previous one. I mean,
>>> there's still some minor brokenness there. But it's not like the last
>>> bunch of losers I worked for, where the company was run by deranged
>>> howler monkeys.
>>
>> It's good that you are seeing that what many of us told you for so long
>> is in fact true - not all employers are as odd as the one you just
>> left. :)
>
> Or rather, I had assumed that I was working for *the only* broken
> company. But now it appears that each company is broken, it's just a
> question of how seriously or trivially.

All companies face challenges, certainly.  People are involved.

>> Spotify is great, subscribed recently myself - very large catalog of
>> music, not all of it is as annoying as Gangnam Style or "other terrible
>> music."
>
> I think my boss just likes trolling people, BTH. ;-)
>
>> And yes, it is legal - you pay a monthly fee and get access to what's
>> in their catalog.
>
> But not Pink Floyd or The Beatles, apparently... And yet, at the same
> time, unknown bands like The Senti-Mentals are there. Very odd.

It's called "licensing fees", and some of the very popular bands (and
their labels) want extortionate fees to be included in the catalog.

But I did find some Floyd on Slacker, another similar service that I also
subscribe too.

>> Think Netflix or Lovefilm for music.
>
> Ah yes - two other services that I don't yet understand...

What's to understand?  I want to watch a movie, it's in their catalog, I
stream it to my PS3 and watch it.  I pay a monthly fee and can stream as
much as I want.

Jim