POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflections on employment : Re: Reflections on employment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections on employment
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 2 Dec 2012 15:34:04
Message: <50bbbb3c$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/12/2012 04:11 PM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> 1) You can figure out how to split a string and parse it into integers.
>
> In this particular case I wouldn't split it at all, but parse the ints
> directly from the string (which is quite easy to do since they are
> whitespace-separated.)

Two months of Bash scripting. That means we do this kind of thing all
the time. It makes me twitch slightly when I think about it too much.

>> 2) You can sort the result.
>
> I can't imagine a programming language that doesn't offer sorting directly.
> Even standard C offers such a function, and that's saying quite a lot.

Like I say, one guy did start trying to write a bubble-sort by hand. (Of
course, nobody else I work with sees anything wrong with that.) It does
amuse me that somebody could know what a bubble-sort is, but /not/ know
how to split a string, parse some integers and sort the result...

Of course, any sane person would use the built-in sorting facilities.
Off the top of my head, the only languages I can think of that lack such
a thing are PostScript, Tcl and BASIC. And who the hell would be using
any of those? (OK, PostScript is used quite a lot - but *not* as a
general-purpose programming language!)

>> At this point, we're not even asking for correct class or method names.
>> Just something that looks like vaguely valid C# syntax and has logic
>> which isn't obviously gibberish.
>
> I don't know enough C# to make it even look like it were. Unless C#
> resembles a lot C++ (which it probably does.) :)

Well, yeah, like Java it bears a strong superficial resemblance.

It's weird... I'm in a room full of programmers, and I seem to be the
only person who knows anything at all about computer science. One day my
boss says to me "I can't believe you don't know who J-Lo is". I replied
"I can't believe you don't know the difference between a binary search
tree and a binary heap tree". Every single human in the room stopped
what they were doing, turned around and stared at me as if I'd just gone
stark, raving mad. "What the *hell* are you talking about?" was my boss'
reply.

Sometimes I weep.

Then again, in all honesty, how often do you need to implement a BST by
yourself? Not very often...