POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflections on employment : Reflections on employment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Reflections on employment
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 2 Dec 2012 07:30:30
Message: <50bb49e6$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so yesterday I got my first pay cheque for an entire month of
employment. (Last month was only for 3 weeks, not 4.) With Christmas
just around the corner, I'm really loving the 50% pay rise right about
now. ;-)

It may be too early to say, but the WTF quotient of my new employer
appears to be significantly lower than my previous one. I mean, there's
still some minor brokenness there. But it's not like the last bunch of
losers I worked for, where the company was run by deranged howler monkeys.

I've learned a couple of things so far. First, in almost two months,
I've yet to write a single line of C# code. I have, however, written
more Bash scripts than can possibly be healthy for my sanity. On Friday
I discovered that "sudo" and "su -c" do not, in fact, do the same thing.
(!!) I could have saved myself a lot of time if I'd known that sooner...

I have also learned enough about Vi that I can use it successfully
approximately 80% of the time. (The other 20% of the time I open a file,
start typing, and end up putting Vi into some weird mode that there's no
way out of. Or I press escape when I'm already *in* command mode, which
does something very odd.)

I have also learned that there's a thing called "Spotify", who's purpose
appears to be to allow my boss to quickly locate terrible music with
which to troll us all with. (Or just to replay Gangnam Style for the
twenty-ninth time today...) Supposedly this is somehow legal. Also, I
now know the words to The Troll Song.

Last week I brought in a lemon Victoria sponge. One senior member of
staff remarked that it was worth hiring me for the cake alone. I hear
rumours that my contract has been amended, making cake a condition of my
continued employment.

(Some statistics: At my last place, I brought a cake, and with 23 people
in the building, the cake lasted 3 days. A brought a similar cake to my
current place of work, and it vanished in UNDER THREE HOURS. Less than
10 people work here.)

Of course, The Real WTF is hiring. With unemployment at historic record
levels, we literally cannot find *anybody* with the skill-set we need.
Personally I find this baffling. The market must be /flooded/ with
experienced programmers, and yet we keep interviewing people who can't
program their way out of a paper bag.

Here's a challenge - write me a C# function (or even just some
psuedocode) which will take a string containing space-delimited positive
integers, and return them in ascending order.

We have yet to interview anybody who can actually accomplish this
Herculean task. My personal favourite is the guy who, 25 minutes into
the task (??!), decided to add a comment explaining what the function
does. Because, hey, if you can't work out how to write the code, at
least look like you know how to type, amIright?

(The best attempt featured a guy who managed to write a bubble-sort
implementation but couldn't work out how to do the actual string splitting.)

We're using an online site where we can watch people type while we're on
the phone to them, so save wasting our time with face-to-face
interviews. Apparently the last guy we interviewed, the guys could hear
typing but not see anything on the screen, and then suddenly big chunks
of text would appear... It's /almost/ as if the guy was desperately
Googling the code while he was on the phone.

It seems employment agents aren't just useless for employees; they seem
to be pretty worthless for employers too. We suspect they're not sending
us the good candidates because we're not paying enough. (Small company,
small budgets. You know the drill.) One guy submitted a CV written in
Comic Sans. My boss immediately refused to read it, and emailed the
agent explaining that such a CV cannot possibly be taken seriously. He
even helpfully included this little flowchart:

http://catbird.tumblr.com/image/216293561

The agent replied by taking the CV, changing the font, and emailing it
back saying "there, I fixed the problem; hope that helps".

For real.

A professional job agent actually did this.

Of course, I've seen first-hand that there are *a lot* of people who
can't program, and never will. But I would have thought that with an
ocean of people looking for work, it shouldn't be too hard to find the
minority who can. I WAS WRONG! >_<