POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:28:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 19 Nov 2012 10:48:18
Message: <50aa54c2$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19/11/2012 14:58, Warp a écrit :
> Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> "The Bible is absolutely, literal, true, or
>> at least the bits we don't gloss over."
>
> The Bible is literally true as long as you interpret it correctly.
>
> (That's what they actually say, and they don't see the contradiction.)

It's kind of ok, but often;

 "The Bible is literally true as long as you interpret it (correctly)."
is heard/internalized as
 "The Bible is true as long as you (correctly) interpret it literally."

Which is a totally different beast.

(And "literally" is yet another term for fight, see xkcd )

 The statement "the sky weights an elephant and smells red." is
literally true as long as you interpret it correctly. (and I'm not
giving any clue)