POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:25:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Nov 2012 21:27:26
Message: <50a9990e@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 10:01:39 -0800, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> On 11/17/2012 5:42 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> See above re: my own frame of reference.  Those in the US who pine for
>> a "better, simpler time" are pining for the world of "Leave it to
>> Beaver", an idyllic, perfect world where there were no problems, unlike
>> today where everything is someone else's fault.  (That view,
>> incidentally, is most often put forth by the Republican party, which
>> ironically bills itself as the "party of personal responsibility" - but
>> they won't take responsibility for anything *they* do, and try to shift
>> the blame for the current situation to anyone *but* them).
>>
> You noticed that too? ;)

It's kinda hard to miss. ;)

> And, married people didn't sleep in the same bed, a gun actually
> functioned as a deterrent, not an escalation, and.. But, these are the
> same party that hosts the, "The Bible is absolutely, literal, true, or
> at least the bits we don't gloss over.", people. Its hardly a surprise
> that they pick a work of complete and total fiction as a hallmark of the
> old days, then insist that everything has gone down hill from there.

Yep.  This election, though, reality crashed their party.  I know many
who said that Nate Silver was full of sh*t and that he couldn't /
possibly/ know anything with his particular brand of voodoo.

Except that his particular brand of voodoo was science, math, and deep
statistical analysis of the data combined with some modeling.  You know,
*pixie dust and unicorns*.

That missed one race out of all of them (IIRC, he missed the Gov. of one
of the Dakotas).

Everything else was pretty much dead on.

So now they're faced with their belief not being sufficient to win in
spite of facts telling them otherwise.

Jim