POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Toroidal Planet : Re: Toroidal Planet Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Toroidal Planet
From: Alain
Date: 13 Nov 2012 18:00:21
Message: <50a2d105$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-11-13 10:42, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> Le 13/11/2012 13:04, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
>> On 13-11-2012 9:48, Bill Pragnell wrote:
>>> However, I do not believe the present artifact is supposed to encircle
>>> a star,
>>> or spin like a ringworld (at least not enough to generate significant
>>> centrifugal forces). I like the idea that it is planet-scaled, generating
>>> gravity by virtue of its own mass. It is difficult to see how it could
>>> form
>>> naturally of course...
>>
>> My idea too. A torus with Earth's diameter at least as cross-section to
>> generate the necessary gravity at the surface; the same composition,
>> with a molten metallic core (inner torus). The whole structure orbiting
>> a star... which would probably tear it apart, or free in the
>> interstellar medium, with a need for a light and warmth source...
>>
>> Interesting musing... ;-)
>
> Oh yes, what about the magnetosphere ? (magnetotorus ??)
> Is there a north pole too ?
> (probably, assuming the inner torus has its own revolution speed)
>
> Would the magnetic field looks like the tokamak helicoidal field ?
>
> And for added fun: could such planet have a moon or more ?

A planetary magnetic field is not needed to protect life on the planet's
surface, you only need a thick enough athmosphere. After all, if it was
/realy/ needed to protect us from solar particles, those do hit us in
the polar regions and would whipe out all life in those areas...

It could have a, or a few, moons if it's far enough and small enough. A
natural satellite the size of our moon would probably need to orbit in
about 4 to 7 months and it may spell doom whatever it's distance. If
it's small enough, like Phobos and Diemos of Mars, they could be much
closer.

Alain