POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Toroidal Planet : Re: Toroidal Planet Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Toroidal Planet
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Nov 2012 07:04:20
Message: <50a23744$1@news.povray.org>
On 13-11-2012 9:48, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> However, I do not believe the present artifact is supposed to encircle a star,
> or spin like a ringworld (at least not enough to generate significant
> centrifugal forces). I like the idea that it is planet-scaled, generating
> gravity by virtue of its own mass. It is difficult to see how it could form
> naturally of course...

My idea too. A torus with Earth's diameter at least as cross-section to
generate the necessary gravity at the surface; the same composition,
with a molten metallic core (inner torus). The whole structure orbiting
a star... which would probably tear it apart, or free in the
interstellar medium, with a need for a light and warmth source...

Interesting musing... ;-)

Thomas