POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Warp
Date: 11 Nov 2012 04:34:42
Message: <509f7132@news.povray.org>
> Yep, or those who scream "government needs to keep its hands off my
> Medicare" (a government-run program).

> Or those who threaten to leave for Cuba, or Italy, or .... without
> actually knowing that their target country is more like the thing they
> hate about where the US is going.

I believe that it has been quite clearly shown that the Europan-style
healthcare system is actually *cheaper* (ie. requires less money from the
citizens) than the American system, yet it's much more efficient because
basically all citizens get good healthcare (basically for free.)

Some Americans argue that such a healthcare system would lower its
*quality*. This is based purely on preconceptions, because in most
European countries medical practice is top-of-the-world quality. I don't
think it loses much (if anything) to the quality of the best medical
practice in the US.

And it's not like European-style healthcare forbids private practice.
If you are rich and want to go to a private doctor, nothing stops you.
(There can actually be benefits from doing that. Most prominently that
waiting times are much shorter due to lower demand.)

--
                                                          - Warp