POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Over the sea to Skye, revisited. : Re: Over the sea to Skye, revisited. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Over the sea to Skye, revisited.
From: Stephen
Date: 10 Nov 2012 13:17:40
Message: <509e9a44@news.povray.org>
On 09/11/2012 8:50 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> The clouds are better than in the original. However, I miss the haze of
> the original which gave a nice atmospheric distance to the scene. Here,
> it would diffuse a bit the sharp edge of the gibbous Earth.

Actually I like sharp images, but you do have a point.

> I know that you use Bishop3D, would it be possible to use there Bill
> Pragnell's Moon technique to make an even better Earth view?

Yes I could as I can include code to be rendered but I find that that
technique always gives me a washed out image and clouds that don't look
right.

> However, that might then interfere with the bridge crossing the atmospheric
> sphere; which you could then solve by making the bridge diminish to a
> point before that crossing; which would however hide more the Skye
> terminus... ;-)
> A technique I used in "First Contact" back in 2008 too:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C47f79242%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=331022&toff=800&mtop=271206

I remember the post and it is an excellent image.

There was so much wrong with this scene. For one reason or another I
started with a scene that did not have any global settings and when I
added them I was so surprised at the difference that using Perlin
instead of PovRay 3.1 as a noise generator caused it took me ages to
find the cause of the discrepancy.
Anyway I have corrected a few faults in the bridge and here is the
latest rendering.

--
Regards
     Stephen