POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Warp
Date: 9 Nov 2012 09:33:11
Message: <509d1427@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> This isn't just about "probabilities" in this case though, its more like
> "Crank thinking". I.e., if it scares me, then if something seems to
> prove that its true, then its true, but if something indicates its not
> true, its actually conspiracy to hide that it is true."

There's indeed an enormous amount of bias among people who believe in
conspiracy theories and such.

For example, no amount of research will convince them, no matter who makes
the research. There are no "unbiased independent parties". They are all in
the conspiracy (somehow.)

And then if there's a research that seemingly supports the conspiracy, it
will immediately be credible and much quoted. It doesn't matter if it has
been rejected by all credible science publications because of not passing
even the most basic of peer reviewing. The publications are rejecting the
research because they are in the conspiracy! (Naturally it cannot be because
the research is bogus. That's just impossible!)

--
                                                          - Warp