POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: scott
Date: 9 Nov 2012 03:18:17
Message: <509cbc49@news.povray.org>
> Uh... You would be rather surprised.. lol
>
> But, seriously, most people are going to see the $, not look at how many
> hours they actually are likely to get. Those can vary, they depend on
> seniority, and its not always clear how screwed you just made yourself,
> unless you are really paying attention.

In pretty much every step of life people are out to take advantage of
you if you can't do basic maths or don't pay attention (employers,
banks, shops, car salesmen, etc.). I don't think it's unique to dodgy
employers trying to screw over their staff.

A good example is getting a home-loan here in the UK. Most banks will
offer a number of different products with different combinations of
interest rates and initial fees. If you can't do the calculation to
figure out which is the cheapest then you're likely going to be paying
more than someone who can, especially as the bank is obviously going to
promote the one that makes them the most money.