POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Nov 2012 00:17:45
Message: <509c91f9$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/8/2012 10:51 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> Francois Labreque <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>>> That's exactly why scientists believe science to be the truth, too.
>>
>> Like who?
>
> Editing error on my part.  "Some" scientists.

Hyperbole, in opposition to someone presenting an "alternative", which
is rank bullshit.

Or, as emphasis about how other "suggestions" have all failed.

Or, babbling about things they actually have no bloody clue about, but
think they know something about, because they have a degree in some
entirely different field (more commonly called "psuedoscientists", when
they apply this logic). This last case is a bit like someone claiming
they are an expert in nuclear physics, based on their extensive practice
with the Culinary Institute of America, making bombes.

Sadly, this happens a bit to often, in some fields, especially physics,
engineering, and computer science.