POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 8 Nov 2012 08:21:00
Message: <509bb1bc$1@news.povray.org>

> I think that there are two reasons (at least).
>
> 1/    No one wants to stop existing when they die so the believe in a
> religion that promises life after death.

I think your rule #1 is the logical conclusion of a more basic rule.
Life in a community forces people to go against their natural instinct
of self-preservation.  To achieve that, the community has to enact a
"Don't be a dick!" rule.  For some, you need an "or else" clause.  So
it's either "Don't be a dick, or else you'll suffer for eternity", or
"Don't be a dick, and you'll be rewarded in the after life".

> 2/    A lot of people find it hard to "think outside of the box" and
> believe what they are brought up with as a matter of course.

That's exactly why scientists believe science to be the truth, too.  Not
everyone realises that most of the scientific laws are only "best
guesses, so far", and the argument between science and religion becomes
akin to "my team/your team" sports argument and the way to win, is to
stack the school board with more fans of MyTeam, not realising that they
are actually breaking the "Don't be a dick!" rule.